Crock Pot Tater Tot Casserole is one of my family’s favorite slow cooker meals! It’s loaded with ground beef and cheese and an easy way to please everyone at your table!
One thing you will notice with my freezer to crockpot meals and especially this Cheesy Crockpot Tater Tot Casserole is that they are easy to make last minute if you have the right ingredients on hand. I have quickly whipped this one up really for a potluck dinner after church and have baked it in the oven, but I LOVE throwing it in the slow cooker.
Can I Substitute Hash Browns for Tater Tots in Tater Tot Casserole?
Yes, that should work just fine. Since they’ll be a little more dense, you may need to decrease the amount of potatoes you add.
Do You Have to Freeze Crock Pot Tater Tot Casserole?
Because I specialize in Crockpot Freezer Meals, I love sharing how to make your recipes ready for the freezer, especially when it’s simple. It sure helps when you have a few of these easy meals thrown together in the freezer for you to pull from when your life is in chaos mode, like mine!
Where Did Tater Tot Casserole Come From?
We first heard of it and tried the recipe that was given to us from another large family. Since that time, several other large families have mentioned it’s a staple in their home as well. The recipe was passed around as an easy meal to serve that would stretch and feed many. We also saw that a famous reality TV show had shared the recipe as well.
After a little research, we discovered that tater tot casserole originates in the Upper Midwest region of the United States, where it remains popular to this day. Particularly in Minnesota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, and North Dakota.
How To Make Cheesy Crockpot Tater Tot Casserole Recipe with Ground Beef
Making tater tot casserole is pretty simple. I’ll quickly outline the steps, but feel free to jump down to the recipe below for more details:
- Brown ground beef.
- Dice onion.
- Drain green beans.
- Mix together all ingredients, except tater tots and cheese.
- Place tater tots in slow cooker.
- Pour ground beef mixture over top.
- Cook on low in slow cooker.
- Top with cheese once done cooking.
- Enjoy all the comments your family gives on how great this dish is!
MORE EASY SLOW COOKER RECIPES FOR YOU TO ENJOY:
- Crockpot Meals made with Ground Beef!
- Crock Pot Shepherd’s Pie
- Crockpot Chalupas Recipe
- Slow Cooker Garlic Butter Chicken & Potatoes
Cheesy Crock Pot Tater Tot Casserole with Ground Beef
- Cook ground beef and drain.
- Chop 1/2 an onion.
- Mix together cooked ground beef, onion, cream soups, milk, salt, pepper, and green beans.
- Line crockpot with tater tots.
- Poor ground beef mixture over the top of the tater tots.
- Cook on low for 6-7 hours or on high for 3.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese.
Freezer to Slow Cooker Version:
- Mix together all ingredients except cheese and tater tots and place in a gallon size freezer safe bag.
- Label and lay flat to freeze.
- Thaw before cooking.
- Follow instructions above to cook.
Don’t forget that you can also get a one week menu for free by subscribing by email, too! You can subscribe up in the sidebar….
*Some of the links in this post are affiliate links.