Easy Crockpot Mexican Casserole Recipe is a great dish that I enjoy making for my family. You can make it in the skillet or in the slow cooker, depending on how much time you have. The delicious flavors meld together perfectly and your family will be begging for more.
If you follow me for very long, you’ll know that I love making Mexican food in my Crockpot. So, making this Easy Crockpot Mexican Casserole was a natural fit for me. As you can see from my photos, you can also make this in your skillet. I have done both. It’s so simple and delicious. You can easily make changes to it and I’ll highlight some of those below. If you have any other questions about this recipe, feel free to leave a comment and I’m happy to answer them!
How Long Do I Cook Crockpot Mexican Casserole For?
If you’re cooking it in the slow cooker, cook on low for 4-6 hours. You can even cook it in your skillet though and if you do, it will only take about 15-20 minutes.
When Do I Put In Cooked Rice For This Mexican Casserole Recipe?
If you choose to add cooked rice, you can add it at the end. Be sure to stir everything well so that the rice is nicely coated with the spices and cheese.
Can I Use Brown Rice Instead of Rice a Roni in Mexican Casserole?
Yes, but you will need to adjust the amount of liquid you use in the Crockpot. To start with the rice uncooked in your slow cooker, add 1 cup of uncooked rice and change the water amount to 2 cups, instead of 1/4 cup.
Do I Have to Brown the Ground Beef or Can I Use Uncooked Beef, Since It Will Be Cooking All Day?
Yes. Brown the ground beef. Otherwise, your Mexican Casserole will be a soupy pot of grease. Of course, if you’re buying lean ground beef, it wouldn’t be nearly as greasy, but in my opinion, it still doesn’t cook up quite right, so you are better off cooking it in the skillet before you put it in the slow cooker.
WANT MORE EASY SLOW COOKER GROUND BEEF RECIPES?
Mexican Casserole (Freezer to Crockpot)
- Make rice according to package instructions.
- Chop onion and green peppers.
- Brown ground beef with onion and green peppers.
- Drain or scoop out the fat.
- Add taco seasoning, water, chili powder, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes and kidney beans.
- Let simmer for 15 minutes to let flavors meld together nicely.
- Once rice is done, mix in.
- Place cheese on top and let melt.
- Dig in!
Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Place all ingredients, except instant rice and cheese into slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
- If you’re using the instant rice, you’ll want to add the rice about an hour before you’re ready to eat.
- Top with cheese a few minutes before serving.
Freezer to Slow Cooker Instructions:Mix all ingredients (but instant rice and cheese) in freezer bag. Put cheese in extra bag and staple onto casserole bag along with bag of rice of using instant.