Swiss Steak is a perfect family friendly meal that is simple to make tin the slow cooker. This amazing recipe creates the most tender beef in a rich & creamy gravy. We love to serve it with mashed potatoes, but it would also be good over rice or noodles as well.
We love really easy slow cooker meals! In addition to this Slow Cooker Swiss Steak recipe, you should also try Slow Cooker French Dip Sandwiches and Slow Cooker Herbed Roast & Gravy For a similar recipe made for your Instant Pot, try Instant Pot Cubed Steak & Gravy.
Is Swiss Steak from Switzerland?
Actually, no it’s not. I always thought it originated in Switzerland, but when I did a little research, I found that the name originated from the word swissing. Swissing is a term that means smoothing out a piece of cloth between rollers. Swiss steak is often made with meat that has been pounded flat. In the US we call that meat cubed steak which is the meat that we use in this easy slow cooker dish. Cubed steak is typically less expensive than regular roasts and steaks.
Are Swiss Steak and Smothered Steak the same thing?
Yes. In England it’s called Smothered Steak and in the United States it’s called swiss steak. I used to think that swiss steak was just a Kansas thing, as all the recipes I found were from Kansans and I didn’t know very many people outside of Kansas who had eaten it before. I’ve since learned that it’s made world-wide! I do have a Slow Cooker Smothered Steak recipe that is different than this one. It is a more tomato based sauce than this one.
What Do You Serve with Swiss Steak
My favorite to serve with swiss steak is mashed potatoes and green beans. I like to have the mashed potatoes so that we can put some of the extra gravy on the potatoes. Any other vegetable or salad would work with this meal though. My favorites would be steamed broccoli, carrots, peas, salad, asparagus or even french fries if you don’t want to do the mashed potatoes.
Would you like some more amazingly simple slow cooker recipes? Try these:
- Hearty Western Casserole
- Beef Tips & Gravy
- Crock Pot Mississippi Pot Roast
- Slow Cooker Enchiladas
- Crock Pot Maple Chicken & Winter Veggies
Tweet this recipe!Click To Tweet
Kansas Swiss Steak in the Slow Cooker
- Place onions and celery in slow cooker
- Dredge meat in flour and sprinkle on salt and pepper.
- Place in slow cooker.
- Pour diced tomatoes over the top.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
- Remove meat from slow cooker.
- Stir together 1/4 cup flour and 1/2 cup of water.
- Add to the juices left in the slow cooker and stir well.
- Turn slow cooker up to high and leave for 15 minutes or so.
- Serve over swiss steak, or if you prefer, over the mashed potatoes.
Freezer to Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Chop onions and celery
- Dredge meat in flour.
- Place meat, onions, celery and diced tomatoes in gallon sized freezer safe bag.
- Label & lay flat to freeze.
- On cooking day, follow the instructions above.