Have you ever heard of swiss steak? Apparently it’s not as well known of a dish as I originally thought. I grew up eating swiss steak on a regular basis in my small Kansas town. When I was looking at different recipes across the internet and in my cookbooks, I found that most of the swiss steak recipes originated from Kansas. I wondered if maybe it’s just a Kansas thing, since I’ve pretty much lived here all my life., but… I’m not sure. Our family all loves anything made with beef! We’ve found that this is a really good dish to eat with mashed potatoes and a veggie.
As I like my recipes to be, it’s super easy to throw together. Let me show you how….
Crock Pot Swiss SteakTweet this recipe!Click To Tweet
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 3 ribs of chopped celery
- 2 lbs 1/2 inch thick round steak
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 16 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup water
- Place onions and celery in slow cooker
- Dredge meat in flour and sprinkle on salt and pepper.
- Place in slow cooker.
- Pour diced tomatoes over the top.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
- Remove meat from slow cooker.
- Stir together 1/4 cup flour and 1/2 cup of water.
- Add to the juices left in the slow cooker and stir well.
- Turn slow cooker up to high and leave for 15 minutes or so.
- Serve over swiss steak, or if you prefer, over the mashed potatoes.
Freezer to Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Chop onions and celery
- Dredge meat in flour.
- Place meat, onions, celery and diced tomatoes in gallon sized freezer safe bag.
- Label & lay flat to freeze.
- On cooking day, follow the instructions above.
Are you interested in learning what the best slow cooker for your family would be? I tell you all about why you should choose the slow cooker that is best for your family here: Choosing the Best Slow Cooker For Your Family.