Sausage & Chicken Stew Recipe Is A Hearty And Delicious Dinner That Is Easy To Throw Together. The Family Is Sure To Love Every Bite Of This Amazing Dish!
Sausage & Chicken Stew Recipe
We love coming up with new and delicious stews any time of year! A lot of people think stews are only good when it’s cold outside, but we beg to differ! This one is good all year round.
A positive about this recipe is how you can put it on the slow cooker and let it go while you are running around busy all day. When you get ready for supper at night, there it is – a delicious and hearty stew ready to eat!
Do I have to use Cajun Sausage?
Cajun Sausage really adds the necessary spiciness that you want to find in this recipe. While it’s not insanely hot, it’s enough to add some of that delicious flavor you want to find! If course, if your family doesn’t enjoy that hint of spice, no worries, just replace it with a less spicy smoked sausage version.
Can I add other fresh veggies?
We love serving this dish over steamed rice or roasted potatoes. Additionally, add or subtract any other vegetables that you would prefer to have. Using the vegetables in the recipe, will keep this dish more of a cajun dish, but you could also add sliced okra. Or, if you want to get away from the Cajun version of the dish, you could try broccoli and even fresh spinach.
Cajun Sausage & Chicken Stew Recipe
- 3 pounds skinless boneless chicken breast or thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 12 oz Cajun sausage halved and sliced in 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 6 oz tomato paste
- 28 oz diced tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning optional
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt to taste
- 2 zucchini halved and sliced in 1 inch pieces
- In a large stock pot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until done, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove from pot but keep warm.
- Add the onion, celery, and bell pepper to the pot and heat, stirring often, until tender.
- Add tomato paste, tomatoes, chicken stock, and seasonings to pot. Return chicken to pot and add sausage. Bring stew to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and add zucchini on top. Cover and cook about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid burning.
- To cook in the slow cooker, add all ingredients to the crock. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
MADE THIS RECIPE?
Meet the Robinsons
So this isn’t my best ever picture lol, but… it’s the only one I got of this day. 🙂 This is me and my husband’s cousins wife, Cheryl. She has 10 kids and is a busy momma like me. 17 years ago, she assisted me in the planned home birth of my daughter. And then we moved away and don’t talk to each other nearly as much as we used to, but this past week, I took the time to go and visit her while we were in the area. It was a lot of fun, even though it was too short. And yes, we both have the last name of Robinson.