This Instant Pot Potato Soup Recipe is hearty and delicious! A yummy soup is the perfect way to warm up on a cold winter evening. This creamy potato soup is topped with cheddar cheese and crispy bacon bits. It’s the ultimate in comfort food when the temperatures drop outside. It’s super filling and keeps you well hydrated which is important during the winter months.
We love Instant Pot soup recipes including some of our favorites, Instant Pot Cuban Black Bean Soup and Instant Pot Low Carb Chicken Broccoli Alfredo Soup.
Instant Pot Potato Soup Recipe
Studies show that your grandma was right, homemade soup actually boosts your feelings of wellbeing. It’s also economical to make and helps you eat healthier. With so many benefits, why not add Instant Pot Potato Soup to your weekly menu?
This Instant Pot Potato Soup recipe calls for regular ingredients like potatoes, chicken broth, and milk, items you may already have in your pantry or fridge. Your Instant Pot speeds up the cooking process so your soup is ready to eat in 20 minutes plus the time it takes to build the pressure. Add a salad and bread for a complete meal that not only tastes great but will feed your entire family.
Can I substitute chicken broth for vegetable broth?
We love this recipe because it’s so versatile. You can substitute vegetable broth in place of chicken broth. Just use the same amount of vegetable broth as you would chicken broth. Your potato soup will have the same good flavor. Vegetable broth is a healthier option, especially if you’re counting your calories.
Can I use real cooked bacon instead of bacon bits? Will the soup have the same flavor?
No problem using real bacon in place of bacon bits, just be sure your bacon is cooked completely. Cool the bacon then crumble it on top of the soup. Try it out and see if you like it better than bacon bits. You can also skip the bacon topping altogether. A good bacon alternative would be chopped green onions or chopped chives.
Will the potato recipe freeze well?
Potato soup is freezer friendly. Cool your soup for several hours before preparing to freeze it. Pour the cooled potato soup in gallon-sized Ziploc bags, zip the bag shut and freeze the soup on its side. The soup will keep for up to six months, but it’s good to use it before that. When you’re ready to eat the soup, thaw it in the fridge or in the microwave while it’s still in the bag.
Can I replace milk for almond milk?
Yes, sweetened but unflavored almond milk is a great replacement for regular milk, however if you’re trying to go dairy free, you’ll also want to replace the sour cream and the cheese as well with non dairy alternatives. If you opt for the almond milk route, use the same amount of almond milk as regular milk in the recipe. The potato soup will have the same creaminess with no loss of flavor or richness.
Instant Pot Potato Soup Recipe
- 10 potatoes peeled and diced
- 3 celery stalks diced
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 cup real bacon bits or ham
- 48 oz chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Bacon bits for topping
- 1 cup instant potato flakes to stir in
- Peel potatoes. Chop onion, potatoes and celery.
- Place potatoes, celery, onion, bacon bits, chicken broth, salt & pepper in Instant Pot.
- Close lid and valve. Cook on Manual/Pressure Cook, high pressure for 13 minutes.
- Natural release or quick release the pressure (depending on your time constraints).
- Add 2 cups milk and 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese.
- Thicken with a cup or two of potato flakes.
- Top with more cheese and bacon bits.
- This recipe is very forgiving. You can choose to release the pressure right away or wait an hour like I did and it will still be fine.
- If you prefer a less liquid-y soup, add even more potatoes.
- If you prefer a thicker soup, try adding more peeled potatoes before cooking or add Instant Mashed Potatoes to the liquid or try mashing some of the potatoes and stirring them in.
MADE THIS RECIPE?
Show me what you made on Instagram or Facebook and tag me at @sidetrackedsarah or hashtag it at #sidetrackedsarah.