Are you looking for a way to make your meal a bit more special? Whether it’s salad, pasta or a side dish, this Basil Walnut Pesto is going to do just that!
We love pasta recipes, and this pesto would be a great addition! Some of our favorites are Slow Cooker Mozzarella Chicken & Pasta and Skillet Shrimp and Pasta Primavera Recipe & 20 Minute Meal!
Basil Walnut Pesto
Many people may be unfamiliar with the concept of pesto. If you don’t know what it is, let me explain it real quick. Basically, pesto is a sauce that is typically used on pasta but can also be used to make other dishes have a lot more flavor. Dishes like salad, pasta salad, potatoes, risotto, chicken and more can all benefit from this DELICIOUS sauce!
What if I don’t have any walnuts?
As the name reads, you really need to have walnuts on hand for this recipe! HOWEVER, if you want to go with a more traditional pesto, Pine Nuts can easily be substituted.
Tip: Grab a pack of the chopped or crushed walnuts in the baking aisle next time you are at the store! They freeze really well if you want to store several packs for a period of time.
If I don’t have fresh garlic, can I use minced, jarred garlic?
While fresh garlic is always a bit better, you definitely can use minced garlic! Just make the proper substitutions – it should let you know what that is on the side of the jar.
This Basil Walnut Pesto is delicious! What recipes can I use it with ASAP?
I know what you mean! These recipes are perfect to try it with:
- Instant Pot Low Carb Greek Chicken
- Slow Cooker Mozzarella Chicken & Pasta
- Try it on some Mashed Potatoes!
How to Make Basil Walnut Pesto
- 2 ½ to 3 cups fresh sweet basil leaves packed
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup walnuts
- ½ cup grated parmesan
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper if desired
- Toast walnuts by placing on a microwave safe plate. Microwave for 30 seconds. Stir and microwave again for another 30 seconds or until walnuts smell fragrant. Do not overcook. Allow walnuts to cool slightly..
- Place basil, 1 tablespoon olive oil, walnuts, and parmesan cheese in a food processor.
- Turn food processor on and drizzle with additional olive oil as the mixture processes until the desired consistency is reached.
MADE THIS RECIPE?
Meet the Robinsons
This is one of my daughter’s senior pictures from last year. I can’t believe this year is now an adult and about to be 20 years old!