This breakfast egg casserole is made with bread, bacon and green & red bell peppers. It’s delicious and so simple to throw together. It has become a family favorite for our family and perfect for any brunch or even dinner!
One of my favorite Christmas morning memories was when my mom would make an egg casserole. We often called it brunch casserole. Whatever you may call it, it’s so easy that you’ll be surprised it’s as good as it is! My husband raved, my kids raved. It was an all-out family hit!
This casserole has bread in it?
Yes! This particular casserole calls for dried bread. I took the easy way out and bought pre-dried bread at the store. They should sell it in your bakery aisle, but if they don’t, you can always take bread pieces and lay them out to dry. To speed up the process you could try slow baking them in the oven. After that, you just slice it into thin slices or cubes.
How do you know when an egg casserole is done?
It’s simple really. All you have to do is put a fork in it to see if it comes out clean. If it does, it’s done. If it doesn’t, it needs to go back in for a few more minutes.
Can I change up what vegetables and meat I put in it?
Yes, that’s what I love about this recipe. You can change it to what suits your tastes and to what is currently in your fridge. Try adding ham or sausage instead of bacon. Use onions and mushrooms in addition to the peppers. We topped ours with jalapeños for a spicy southwest flair.
Can I cook this breakfast casserole in the slow cooker?
Yes! While this time I cooked it in the oven for about 50 minutes, this casserole would also do very well in a slow cooker. Cook it on low in the slow cooker for 4-6 hours.
Be sure to try these other egg recipes out.
Breakfast Egg Casserole with Egg & Bacon
- 9x13 pan
- 12 large Eggs
- 6 cups milk
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 medium green pepper
- 1 medium red pepper
- 2 cups crumbled bacon bits
- 4 cups shredded cheese
- 24 slices bread (or use dried bread cubes)
- Leave out bread for several hours or overnight so it hardens, then cut into cubes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Chop red and green pepper
- Whisk 12 eggs. Stir in milk and garlic powder.
- Layer bread cubes, followed by peppers, bacon and cheese in 2 9x13 pans.
- Pour half of the egg mixture into each pan.
- Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake on 350 degrees for 45-55 minutes. When fork comes out clean, you'll know it is done.