I’m trying to hop back on that weight loss bandwagon again. It’s been a while. I seem to have fell off when I went on my trip to Breckenridge, Colorado. That was way back in February. I know. So sad.
I decided to start my journey back onto some sort of resemblance of healthy eating, by looking for low carb sort of dishes to fix. I tend to do well with losing weight when I eat low sugar, low carb, high protein and loads of vegetables.
If you’re on a low or no sugar diet, be sure to check everything for sugar added. They sneak it in, in the most inconvenient places! It will likely be in your pasta sauces unless they’re specifically labeled as no sugar added. You may also find them in chili beans and other canned goods that you wouldn’t really expect it. Just be careful and read labels.
For this particular recipe, it calls for pasta. I used whole wheat spaghetti noodles, because that’s what I had on hand, but….to eliminate even more carbs, you may want to consider spiralizing zucchini and serving it over that. We have a spiralizer similar to this one:
and it does a great job with making noodles. We will put sauce over it and eat them raw, but some people will lightly steam them so they can be warm. Really, I don’t notice that they’re not warm, because the sauce heats it up, so prefer them raw. I did not use zucchini noodles the last time I made this, but can easily substitute for this any time I choose.
The recipe is quite simple. For this particular recipe, it is perfectly safe to only cook the amount of chicken that you need for your family size. We do a full 3 pound bag, but if you only need 4 pieces, do 4 pieces. Are you ready? Grab your ingredients and your slow cooker and let’s get started!
Tomato Basil Chicken With NoodlesTweet this recipe!Click To Tweet Print
Slow Cooker Tomato Basil Chicken & Pasta (LOW CARB)
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Method: Slow Cooker
- 1 3 pound bag of frozen boneless, skinless chicken breast (or less if you have a smaller family)
- 1 box of whole wheat noodles OR 3 zucchini spiralized
- 1 32 oz jar Sugar Free Spaghetti Sauce
- 1 cup Shredded Cheese (your favorite kind)
- 3 TBSP Minced Garlic
- ½ tsp Onion Powder
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp Basil
- Place chicken in slow cooker.
- Pour sauce, garlic, and seasonings over the top.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- In last 30 minutes, remove lid and skim any chicken juices that have separated from the sauce out of slow cooker and discard.
- After discarded, sprinkle cheese over meat in slow cooker and replace lid, allowing to cook for an extra 30 minutes.
- While you wait, cook the pasta or shred the zucchini.
- When done, either mix the pasta in the slow cooker OR place pasta on plate and spoon sauce over the top and place chicken on side or on top.
Freezer to Slow Cooker Instructions
- Place all ingredients except cheese into a gallon sized freezer safe bag (or use the bag the chicken came in, if making the full bag).
- Label and lay flat to freeze.
- Follow cooking instructions above on cooking day.