We have a go-to meal in our house. It’s Instant Pot Shredded Mexican Chicken. It’s an Instant Pot meal that we use, every time I forget to start the slow cooker in the morning. (Well, maybe not every time. Otherwise, we’d be eating this 2 to 3 times a week. But, you get the idea.)
On rushed days, where I never really thought about dinner all day, I make this recipe. I almost always have frozen chicken breasts and all of the rest of the ingredients in the house, so it just makes sense!
I kind of have a Mexican Food obsession though. You can see that from my list of Slow Cooker Mexican Meals!
This recipe is very versatile. Sometimes I eat it like fajitas. When I do that, I usually sauté some peppers and onions in the skillet, then, when the chicken is done cooking in the Instant Pot, I will slice it up (or shred it) and add it to the skillet, to crisp it up and cook off some of the liquid a bit. Of course, there’s times that I don’t have all of those ingredients on hand, so I’ll just eat it like this.
There are 4 main ways you can eat this meal:
- On taco shells (hard or soft)
- Over chips, as nachos
- Over lettuce and chips, like a taco salad
- Over lettuce, as a low-carb taco salad.
Personally, I prefer it on nachos or if I’m trying to watch my carb intake, just over lettuce. However you eat it, it’s so very delicious!
Instant Pot Shredded Mexican Chicken
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Dice onion
- Place chicken in Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- Cover chicken with the rest of the ingredients
- Close valve of Instant Pot
- Cook on Manual, High Pressure for 35 minutes (if chicken breasts were frozen) or 20 minutes, if they weren't.
- Remove chicken and slice or shred.
- Serve on tortillas, taco chips or lettuce
- This recipe can also be made in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 5-6 hours.