Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes Is a Delicious Side Dish that Is Ready in Minutes!
Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes go well with so many main dishes! Some dishes they go especially well with include Slow Cooker Mexican Meatloaf and Slow Cooker Honey Barbecue Beef Brisket.
INSTANT POT SCALLOPED POTATOES
When I was a child, scalloped potatoes were one of my favorite sides. It’s full of tender potatoes that have just the right amount of bite and a creamy cheese sauce that is just plain delicious.
The problem is, it’s not a quick or easy dish to make (unless it comes out of a box). I knew there had to be a better way!
That’s where the beauty of the Instant Pot comes in. With this wonderful device, you can have this delicious dish on the table in minutes!
DOES IT MATTER HOW THICKLY I SLICE THE POTATOES?
It actually does matter. If you slice them paper-thin, they will fall apart while cooking. If they are sliced too thick, you will end up with unwieldy chunks of potato rather than tender, melt-in-your-mouth slices.
I have found that the ideal thickness for Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes is in the 1/4 to 1/3 of an inch range. There is no need to be precise, but this is the general thickness to shoot for.
HOW DO I GET THE BROWNED SCALLOPED POTATO TOPPING?
Because the preparation and cooking time is so short, it’s easy to just pop the finished dish under the broiler for a few minutes to gain that lovely browned topping that many of us associate with scalloped potatoes. It’s not a necessary step, as Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes are delicious either way, but it’s an easy and quick trick!
WILL INSTANT POT SCALLOPED POTATOES FREEZE WELL?
This is one of the few recipes that I would not suggest freezing. Potatoes tend to develop an odd texture and color when frozen, and the dairy-based sauce is better when served fresh.
You can prepare it a day or two before, though! Just take it out of the refrigerator and set it on the counter for a few minutes to take the chill off. Then, just heat and serve!
WANT MORE EASY RECIPE IDEAS TO PAIR WITH INSTANT POT SCALLOPED POTATOES?
- Instant Pot Honey Garlic Chicken Sliders
- Slow Cooker Garlic Ale Beef Sliders
- Slow Cooker Mississippi Roast
- Instant Pot Sloppy Joes
Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes
- 2 pounds Russet potatoes peeled and sliced
- 1 cup chopped ham
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup chopped parsley
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Peel, rinse, and slice potatoes.
- Mix together the cream, milk and seasonings.
- Layer the potatoes, ham, cheese and milk/cream mixture together in a casserole dish that fits into the Instant Pot on a trivet. Make two layers: potatoes, ham, cheese, milk/cream, and repeat.
- Close the lid and set the pressure valve to sealed.
- Set manual pressure time for 28 minutes.
- Allow for a quick release of pressure, stir and serve.
- You can also add a little extra cheese to the top and put under the broiler for 5 minutes for a toasty look.
MADE THIS RECIPE?
Show me what you made on Instagram or Facebook and tag me at @sidetrackedsarah or hashtag it at #sidetrackedsarah.
Happenings From Our Family Of 9
Summer is winding down and school is starting back up! It’s sure different in our house than in years past. We have two college students, only one high schooler, one middle school age, two grade school and one pre-k. My husband has also joined me homeschooling this year. We will be using a tag team approach which is exciting, but also will take some getting used to. So wish us luck as we are in this uncharted territory!