My husband and I never really cooked any Asian style foods at home at all. Ryan (my husband) has always claimed that he doesn’t like Chinese food, so I didn’t want to displease him by cooking something he wouldn’t enjoy. It turns out he’s getting pretty adventurous as he gets older and is married to a food blogger, lol.
I knew that we do like Chicken Teriyaki, so I figured that I’d try my and at making it in my Slow Cooker. But, I needed to make something to put it over. I figured that fried rice would be the perfect combination with Slow Cooker Chicken Teriyaki Bowls. Instead of using my slow cooker or stove top for the fried rice recipe, I opted for my Instant Pot instead (affiliate link).
How to Cook Fried Rice in a Pressure Cooker
The fried rice recipe in the Instant Pot was actually pretty simple. Here’s how I did it:
- I added the rice and vegetable stock to my Instant Pot and stirred it, so that it was evenly coated with liquid.
- Then i threw in the diced carrots and closed the lid.
- I turned the vent to the “Seal” position and then started the timer.
- To start the timer, I pushed “Manual”, but your pot may say “Pressure Cook” instead depending on which model of Instant Pot you have.
- I set the timer for 3 minutes. Keep in mind, it takes at least 10 minutes to reach full pressure and the right temperature, so it won’t only be 3 minutes.
- Once the 3 minutes was up, I waited 10 minutes before I released the pressure.
- Once I did that, I pushed the Saute button, then I moved the rice over on one side, added some olive oil and then added the frozen peas and sauted a bit. Then I mixed it all together.
- Last, I made a well in the middle of the rice, and added my 2 medium eggs and mixed it all together, frying any egg bits. Fry together for another 1-2 minutes.
- Turn off Instant Pot, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
This recipe came together really fast and was incredibly tasty. Yes, even my “non-Chinese food liking husband” liked it, so I guess we found us a winner that we will hang on to for years to come. I highly recommend you give it a try, too! It’ll be the perfect combination with your Slow Cooker Teriyaki Chicken Bowls or other Chinese style dinners.
See below for a printable recipe!
Instant Pot Fried Rice Recipe
- 2 cups Long Grain Rice
- 2½ cups Vegetable Broth
- 2 Carrots
- 3 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ cup Frozen Peas
- 2 Medium Eggs
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Add rice and vegetable stock to Instant Pot and stir, so that it is evenly coated with liquid.
- Stir in diced carrots and closed the lid.
- Turn the vent to the "Seal" position and start the timer.
- To start the timer, push"Manual", but your pot may say "Pressure Cook", instead, depending on which model of Instant Pot you have.
- Set the timer for 3 minutes. Keep in mind, it takes at least 10-20 minutes to reach full pressure and the right temperature, so it won't only be 3 minutes.
- Once the 3 minutes is up, wait 10 minutes before releasing the pressure.
- Push the Saute button, then move the rice over to one side, add the olive oil and then added the frozen peas and saute for around a minute.
- Mix all ingredients together well before they start burning and/or sticking.
- Last, make a well in the middle of the rice, and added my 2 medium eggs and mixed it all together, frying any egg bits and cooking egg while stirring frequently.
- Fry together for another 1-2 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.