This recipe was chosen by my husband. He remembers eating Chicken Ala King back in his Army days while he was in the training field. They would give him this tasty dish in his MRE’s (Meals Ready to Eat) and he says it was the best one out there. It was so much better than the other MRE’s, that he would trade anything he had to get more Chicken Ala King. Of course, he still doused it with Tabasco sauce, so it couldn’t have been THAT great! 🙂 When I asked him if this crockpot meal was as good as he remembered, he said that it was WAY BETTER. Oh good! Score another point for mom. Oh wait…..I guess he picked this recipe out….dad gets the point after all!
Regardless of who gets the “point”, it’s nice to find an extra easy recipe that the family likes. This one is one of those that you don’t have to cook quite as long. In fact, today, I totally forgot to get anything into the slow cooker and quickly found my simplest recipe that I had on hand. This one only has to cook on high for about 3 total hours. What a relief that was for me today, since I didn’t actually get it started until 4:00 p.m. Yeah, we didn’t eat until after 7:00, but hey, at last we ate at home, right?
This recipe is one of those chicken recipes that calls for cream of chicken soup. It seems that lots of slow cooker recipes use this very hand canned soup, but I’ve found several of my readers who are resistant to using it. I don’t blame them. Especially since it’s getting harder for me to eat these days. My pregnant self is getting extra sensitive to the taste. My kids on the other hand, love it! 🙂 But….if you happen to be trying to steer clear of this soup, be sure to check out this cream soup alternative, that you could use to make a better, homemade version.
Tweet this recipe!Click To Tweet
Easy Chicken Ala King - Day 7 of Crockpot Freezer Meals
- Chicken Breasts enough for your family
- 26 oz can of Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 15 oz cans of peas
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- More Flour or Instant Mashed Potatoes to thicken
- Cut up chicken breasts into bite sized pieces. Mix flour and cream of chicken soup together along with the pepper. Cook on high for 2.5 hours or low for 5 hours. Add 2 cans of peas and paprika. Stir well. Add in flour or instant mashed potatoes to thicken. (We used the potatoes with great results.) Let cook for another 30 minutes. Enjoy! We topped ours with cheese....just because we can.
Freezer to Slow Cooker Directions:
- If chicken is already thawed when you bought it, cut it into bite sized pieces. If it's not, you can wait and cut it up with scissors in the slow cooker after it's cooked. Mix flour, pepper and cream soup together. Place chicken and soup mixture into gallon size freezer safe bag. Label, Lay Flat & Freeze. On cooking day, follow instructions in recipe above.
*This post contains affiliate links.
Leave a Reply