This recipe started out as something different. It wasn’t originally going to be served over chips. It was supposed to be a low carb recipe, but then… when I made it, it just seemed weird. It wasn’t very tasty. It was bland chicken in the slow cooker. There wasn’t enough seasonings. I couldn’t feed it to my family, much less tell you the recipe. So… I did what any cook would do. I changed it!
Originally, the recipe only called for one packet of taco seasoning and didn’t call for the corn or the chili beans. It was a creamy chicken recipe that was meant to be served alone and not over chips either.
I ended up having to add another packet of taco seasoning to it. That alone was enough to fix it, but it was still REALLY soupy. I debated about making it into Mexican Chicken Soup and that would have been fine, but in order to have it feel like soup, it needed more ingredients in it. So, I decided to add a can of drained corn and a can of chili beans. Mmm, now it’s looking good! But then, I began shredding the chicken up and suddenly… the soupy part was much less plentiful and I was beginning to envision chicken nachos.
So… instead, I decided to let it cook with the lid off for 30 minutes or so and let some of the liquid evaporate. That turned it into the most amazing chicken nacho mixture I’ve ever had! YES!
This recipe is now available in a printable one week menu. Freezer to Slow Cooker, Week 12 has published! In it you will find the following recipes:
- Mexican Chicken Nachos
- Beef & Cheese Pasta
- Herbed Roast and Gravy
- Greek Chicken
- Lasagna Soup
- Kansas Swiss Steak
This weekly menu comes with 6 recipes, assembly instructions, shopping list and labels you can cut out and tape onto your freezer bag. Purchase the menu by going here:
Tweet this recipe!Click To Tweet Print
Slow Cooker Mexican Chicken Nachos
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 hours
- Total Time: 5 hours 10 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Mix all ingredients except tortilla chips and toppings in slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
- When you have about an hour left, you may want to go ahead and shred the chicken with a fork or these bear claws. After chicken is shredded up, if the mixture is still soupy, cook with lid off for 30 minutes to an hour to reduce a lot of the liquid.
- Serve over tortilla chips and top with cheese, sour cream and salsa. YUM!
Freezer to Slow Cooker
- Put all ingredients in gallon sized freezer safe bag.
- Label with name of recipe and cooking time.
- Lay flat to freeze.
Many of the ingredients have been linked here, so you can see exactly what I use. Sometimes, I do use off brands. Should you choose to purchase anything using any of the links in this post, I will receive a small percentage of your purchase price. This will not change your pricing whatsoever.