We’ve celebrated Thanksgiving twice a year for years. Once with Mr. Sidetracked’s side of the family and once with mine. Both are very special and we always look forward to both!
When we get together with my side of the family, it’s usually on Thanksgiving day. It has changed over the years as family members have moved closer. Last year, was the first year we actually travelled out of town, because my sister who lived about 9 hours from us moved to only 3 hours away from us and wanted to host in her new home. That was the first year we experienced this new tradition that is geared especially for the children.
After the Thanksgiving meal is eaten and mostly cleaned up, all the kids gather together and put on a talent show. My 2 sisters’ kids who have gotten together for several years in a row have been doing this as their annual tradition, but last year was the first time my children were involved.
We all gather around in the main room of the house and let each child who wants to, share a special talent. This has included:
- Sing a song (the little kids are super cute doing this!)
- Play a song on the piano or other instrument
- Say a rhyme
- Do a skit (a lot of times, the cousins [there’s 14 of them!] will get together and make a skit and quickly memorize their parts and/or songs….they have a lot of fun doing it)
- Do a cheer (one of the cousins is a cheerleader)
- Demonstrate your football moves (one of them was in football)
- Demonstrate Karate moves (we’ve got 3 in karate)
I’m sure what they do will change throughout the years. My 11 year old has already written and composed a song on the piano about Thanksgiving that I am strictly forbidden to read the words to. I had to hear the music because she practices it a good part of the day. They’re all super excited to share something at the talent show!
Do you have any fun Thanksgiving traditions that your children look forward to?
Here are some pictures of our talent show last year: