My 12 year old’s favorite meal is potato soup! I grew up not liking it very much. That is, until I added cheese to it and of course, bacon never hurt much either. Then, it was suddenly delicious. Everything’s better with cheese and bacon, right?
Slow Cooker Potato SoupTweet this recipeClick To Tweet
Slow Cooker Potato Soup
- 3 1/2 cups peeled and diced potatoes
- 1/3 cup diced celery optional, we often leave it out
- 1/3 cup finely chopped onion
- 3/4 cup diced cooked ham
- 3 1/4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground white or black pepper or to taste
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup Cheddar Cheese
- 1 pound bacon cooked and crumbled to top with
- Chop potatoes, celery, onion and ham.
- Toss it all into the slow cooker with water, chicken bouillon granules, salt and pepper.
- Cook it on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours.
- About an hour before cooking time ends, add 2 cups of milk and one cup of cheese.
- Stir it together and top with cooked, crumbled bacon.
Freezer to Slow Cooker Instructions:
If you'd like to prepare this for a Freezer to Slow Cooker meal, keep in mind that raw potatoes don't freeze well. You could either:
- Choose to cook the soup ahead of time and then freeze it;
- Make this meal at the beginning of the week so you won't need to freeze it;
- or Freeze everything but the potatoes.
- You could also go ahead and prep the potatoes as long as you planned to eat them within 2-3 days. If you keep them in water in the refrigerator, they will not turn brown.
- I'm going to assume that you are planning to freeze everything but the potatoes in their raw form. Here's what you do:
- Slice Celery, onion and ham.
- Toss in a freezer bag with chicken bouillon granules, salt and pepper.
- The night before cooking, remove from freezer and put in refrigerator to begin thawing.
- On the day of cooking, peel your potatoes, put in pot with water and contents of the freezer bag.
- About an hour before, add milk and cheese. Enjoy!
*Some links in this post are affiliate links.