My kids always think that they are getting something really special, when I serve fun food! Red, White and Blue foods for Memorial Day or the 4th of July makes them super happy! I must admit it makes me pretty happy, too. I remember when they were younger and we made an American flag out of strawberries for the 4th of July. We also made Patriotic drinks. Fun stuff!
A friend of mine recently shared this Patriotic Popcorn recipe with me, and it’s so easy, I knew my kids would want to try it and that probably you’d want to try it, too!
(Ingredients linked are affiliate links)
- 6 cups popped white popcorn (no butter)
- 1/2 cup Wilton Royal blue chocolate melts
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips or Wilton white chocolate melts
- 1/4 cup red M&M’s
- 1 Tablespoon red jimmies
1. Line a cookie sheet with waxed paper. Set aside.
2. Pop the popcorn according to package directions. Do not use any kind of butter flavored popcorn as the butter will make it hard for the melted chocolate to stick to the popcorn.
3. Once cooled, spread the popped popcorn onto the cookie sheet in a single layer.
4. In a microwave safe bowl, microwave the blue chocolate melts for 40 seconds. Remove from microwave and stir.
5. Continue to microwave blue chocolate melts in 10 second intervals until completely melted.
6. With a spoon, drizzle the blue melted chocolate on top of the popcorn.
7. Repeat steps 4-6 using the white chocolate chips/melts.
8. Before the chocolate “sets”, sprinkle the red M&M’s and jimmies onto the popcorn.
9. Let the popcorn “set” for 30 minutes to allow the chocolate to harden.
10. Break up the patriotic popcorn into smaller pieces.
Serve immediately or store in an airtight container up to one week.