Slow Cooker Red Beans and Rice is a simple and authentic slow cooker recipe that you won’t be able to find just anywhere. Shared by guest blogger, Bernie, you’ll learn just how easy it is to eat the real deal. A recipe straight from Puerto Rico!
Many of you know I love to cook and post pictures of what I cook and love to eat. Today I am going to share my recipe I modified by using my crock pot. Traditionally this recipe is cooked on the stove for hours but I use my crockpot to save time to do other things like make a roast pork (Pernil) See recipe below and tell me what you think.
Crockpot Authentic Red Beans (Puerto Rican Style)
Authentic Red Beans in the Slow Cooker - Puerto Rican Style
- 1 cup Ham bone or bacon optional
- 1 Table Spoon of oil Vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup Sofrito ready made or frozen
- 1 dry bag of pink or red beans follow instructions on bag before cooking
- 1 can of tomato sauce
- 1 cup of Spanish olives
- Garlic salt or Adobo to taste or you can use a Sazon packet
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 2 cups water to cover beans
- Prep Beans according to package instructions (I usually soak overnight)
- Cook diced bacon or ham with oil (do not over fry-don't drain)
- Add the sofrito, olives and tomato sauce cook this for about 5 minutes over low heat.
- Add beans to crockpot after soak prep
- Add all of of the ingredients, bring to a boil low heat setting simmer for approximately 7-8 hours or so until tender.
The sauce will not be thick but you can add potatoes or Batatas to thicken. This will make lots of beans so have plenty of hungry people over.
Serve over rice. Enjoy!
Bernadette is a New York native who was recently transplanted from Long Island to Virginia, in the biggest adventure of her and her family’s life. Up until her move she had a great career in the health field, but she is now enjoying the other side of life as a stay at home mom to two wonderful kids and a great husband. The Mommy Cooler is a lifestyle blog sharing stories on parenting, local happenings in the Hampton Roads, Virginia area as well as travel and product reviews.