Wouldn’t it be nice if I could make that my title each week? :) How fast I’d get skinny. I know 6 pounds a week isn’t even close to being a realistic expectation. If I were to lose 6 pounds each week of this 12 week Get Healthy & Fit Series, I will have lost 72 pounds. Yeah…I’m thinking that it will slow down…..probably way, way down. So, before you begin lecturing me on how it’s not a good idea to lose weight quickly because it won’t stay off, etc., etc…..let me tell you my story.
Last week, I began this weight loss journey. I was scared! I was going to have to give up my best friend. Dr. Pepper. I told myself, that I would do Weight Watchers and then maybe I could still have my soda. Day 1 arrived and I decided to go cold turkey. No more Dr. Pepper. Oh, how my head ached! I was irritable and tired, too. Day 2…..not much better. Still that headache. Day 3, the fog began to clear and it got easier! By the end of the week, I find myself annoyed at that drink they call Dr. Pepper. No wonder I have this much extra weight on my body! I have not had one sip of soda this whole week and that is the main thing that I did for my “diet” last week. I did not eat the perfect diet. I still went out to eat a couple of times, had a couple of cookies, a few M&M’s, etc., but I wasn’t worried about it because I knew that my focus for the week was soda and I stuck to it! I also want to pursue this goal, by being able to indulge a little without feeling guilty. Just because I ate at Sonic once because we were on the road, doesn’t mean that my whole diet is a train wreck! I’m hoping to make these changes for the long haul, in order to maintain a much lower weight!
I don’t really see any results yet…..but…it’s only 6 pounds. It’s a great way to compare, just the same!
6 Benefits I Noticed From Being Off of Soda
- When I’m not drinking sugary drinks 1-3 times a day, I actually want water! Each time my head really started to hurt, I’d drink water and it would help to eliminate the headache temporarily. Day 1, I was waterlogged!
- When I’m not drinking Dr. Pepper, I don’t crave nearly as much food throughout the day.
- I’m not as hungry either.
- I wake up a LOT easier in the mornings. Even when I go to bed at 2:00 a.m.
- My brain fog is lifting. No, not the one from the lack of caffeine. I have been feeling down and somewhat miserable for a while now, and suddenly, I’m feeling optimistic again. I had no idea the soda was pulling my attitude down so much.
- Now, that my brain isn’t being controlled by an addiction, I can more easily make better food choices. I was offered a soda by one of my children tonight and it sounded like the most absurd thing someone could ask me. I was also offered an Oatmeal Cream Pie. Um…no thanks. Why would I want to wreak havoc on what I’ve accomplished so far?
My Week 1 Successes & Challenges
I lost 6 pounds! (Didn’t measure yet….gotta do that!)
I gave up soda.
I ate a lot more fruits and vegetables than normal, including salads every day.
I had a couple of green smoothies
I bought ice cream for my children and did not have any. I didn’t even feel sorry for myself!
I had a hard time finding the time to exercise. This will need to be more of a priority. I only exercised 3x and only once did my T-tapp DVD. The other times, I walked and went bike riding up and down the driveway with the kids (which they loved!).
Breakfast. I found that I was really craving cereal. I usually had either a smoothie or a piece of fruit but I occasionally had toast or crackers with it because I was so hungry!
My husband took me out for Mexican food and I overate. I had let myself get too hungry, as it was a late lunch. I made up for it by not eating supper and only having fruit, but I am disappointed in my lack of self control there.
How I Plan To Improve Next Week
- Measure myself. I had planned to, but didn’t get it done yet.
- More T-tapp DVD days
- More Green Smoothies
- More Exercise in general
- No overeating
What about you? How did you do?
Don’t forget to go and see my friends who are participating in this Get Healthy & Fit 12 week series. I’m so lucky to have them all on this journey with me!