Slow Cooker Pasta Fagiola (Freezer to Crockpot Series)

Slow Cooker Pasta Fagiola
1 pound cooked ground beef
1/2 large red onion, chopped
1 cup carrots, chopped
2 celery stalks, sliced
2 cans (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes
1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can white beans, drained and rinsed
4 cups beef broth
1 jar (16.5 oz) pasta sauce
2 tsp oregano

1 T Tabasco sauce (we leave out and add to individual bowls)
1/2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp black pepper

1/2 cup dry pasta, to add at end of cooking time (I used egg noodles, that’s all I had and I realized later that i used too many)The Directions.

Option 1 (freezer space saver):

Mix ground beef, onion, carrots, celery, oregano, tobasco, salt, pepper and beef broth in freezer bag.  Freeze with note to add 2 cans of diced tomatoes, 1 can kidney beans, 1 can white beans (drained & rinsed), pasta  & 1 jar of pasta sauce on crockpot day.

Option 2:
Mix all ingredients except pasta into freezer bag.  Label and freeze.  Try to unthaw the night before in the fridge and put it directly into the crockpot first thing in the morning.

Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4crockpot, or cut the recipe in half. This makes a lot.

Use a 6 quart or larger

Related posts:

Comments

• Sidetracked Sarah says

I believe I added it in uncooked an hour before. Or you could wait and just cook it and add it at the last minute.

1. Dale says

I made this today for the first time and my whole family loved it. I used Ditalini for the pasta and I cooked it before I added it. It only took about 15 or so minutes and we were ready to eat. Thanks for the great recipe!

2. Sarah says

Hmm…I wonder if this would help us ease back into liking beans? We got really beaned out a few years ago…..but maybe the times are a changin'?! I can only hope.

Any other ideas for helping my kids like beans again?

Thanks!

• Sidetracked Sarah says

I have no idea how to get kids to like beans again. Have you tried letting them put cheese, sour cream and salsa on them? You wouldn't want the sour cream on the pasta fagiola, but….it would be good with cheese. I hope you get it figured out. All kids are so different!

• Dale says

When my kids were young instead of using the dark red kidney beans I substituted the light red kidneys, or used pinto beans. The flavors weren't as strong, and they would eat them. We did not have trouble with the white beans. I agree with Sarah's suggestion on the cheese. Cheese makes everything more kid friendly.

3. Colleen says

The recipe calls for 'pasta sauce', would this be spaghetti sauce as well, like what is called for in the slow cooker pizza recipe? I see the two listed next to each other on the shopping list and I got a little confused what the difference is…

• Sidetracked Sarah says

Yes, pasta sauce and spaghetti sauce are the same. Yet another correction I need to make! Thanks for pointing that out to me! :)