[clickToTweet tweet=”Gluten Free Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe #sidetrackedsarah #slowcooked ” quote=”Tweet this recipe!”]
There are those days, and I know you all know of them, that you just want some comfort food. Anything that can be prepared in a slow cooker, to me, is comforting. The other day, we needed just that. I hope you enjoy our recipe for Beef Stew. Below is the gluten-free version, but you can always replace the gluten-free ingredients with conventional ones.
Gluten Free Slow Cooker Beef Stew Recipe
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 -4 lb. beef stew
- Gluten-free flour or conventional!
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper
- 8 oz pancetta chopped
- 1 large yellow onion chopped
- 5 carrots peeled and cut into 1/4" pieces
- 2 celery sticks chopped
- 6 cloves fresh garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons thyme
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1 bottle red wine we recommend a pinot noir but you can use any variety
- 1 package of demi-glace
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 16 oz mushrooms halved
- Add 1/4 cup olive oil in a large pan or dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, add flour in a shallow dish along with onion and garlic powder.
- Dredge the stew meat in the flour, shaking any excess off. Season the meat with salt and pepper. Cook the meat in the dutch oven, browning all sides (approximately 6-8 minutes total).
- Remove browned meat and place in slow cooker. Add pancetta, onion, carrots, celery to the dutch oven and cook for 8-10 minutes, until softened (not browned). Stir occasionally adding about 1/2 teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
- Add garlic and cook for an additional minute. Stir occasionally. Thyme and parsley are added next, cooking for one minute.
- Remove vegetable and pancetta mixture from dutch oven and put into the slow cooker.
- Now add wine, tomato paste and packet of demi-glace to dutch oven, stirring to combine. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes, making sure to get all of the brown bits off the bottom of the pan using a wooden spoon - that's where all of the flavor is.
- Add wine mixture to the slow cooker along with the mushrooms. Stir all ingredients together and place slow cooker on high for 8 hours or until meat is fork tender.
Dana is a full time marketer who loves to spend time with her family. She dubs herself a blogger of all things fashion, beauty, motherhood, gluten-free, work-related, reading – you name it! Visit her at Pellerini Proclaims!