I was educated on how Dr Pepper Snapple Group is embracing balance in families, thanks to a partnership with Dr Pepper Snapple Group and The Motherhood. All opinions and Dr Pepper obsessions are 100% my own.
If you’ve been hanging around me very long, you’ll know that I’m a Dr Pepper lover!
Yes, I certainly do love that bubbly drink and aim to have at least a swig of it on a daily basis. That’s why, when I was invited to be a part of a special briefing held by the Dr Pepper Snapple Group, I was excited to get to attend! They were giving me the opportunity to learn a little more about how they aim to help me, as a consumer of Dr Pepper Snapple products, create a little more balance in my life. Let me tell you a little bit about what I learned:
How Does Dr Pepper Help Create Balance in People’s Lives?
It’s no secret that I need to lose a few pounds. It’s also no secret that I need to stop drinking full calorie Dr Pepper at the rate that I am currently drinking it, in order to obtain that goal. The problem is, I can’t imagine not drinking it! I absolutely enjoy my life with a Dr Pepper in hand. How do I get the benefit of losing weight while still enjoying a good tasting Dr Pepper? I really don’t like the taste of diet drinks. Aspartame has never appealed to my taste buds at all. That is what led me to ask this question:
Q. I’m a longtime, dedicated drinker of Dr Pepper. The problem is that I need to lose weight and don’t like the taste of diet drinks filled with aspartame. Do you have an alternative to aspartame-sweetened drinks?
A. For those who want beverages with natural sweeteners, we are testing a naturally sweetened line of soft drinks, and continue exploring new options with sweeteners as consumer needs evolve.
Do you want to know what that new option will be? It’s something they will call Dr Pepper Natural. It is Dr Pepper sweetened with real sugar (not high fructose corn syrup) and stevia. Stevia has been on my list of approved sweeteners for losing weight. This new Dr Pepper will only have 60 calories per 12 ounces and that, my friends sounds like a great way to still enjoy the great taste of Dr Pepper all while having the ability to lose some weight! Hooray! (It will also be available for Canada Dry and 7-Up.)
OK, so I know what you’re thinking! You’re thinking, “yeah, your weight isn’t going to fall off by just switching to this drink, is it?” No, that’s true, it probably isn’t going to come off really fast just by making that one switch. However, it certainly won’t hurt to cut out 90 calories per 12 ounce serving, along with making other healthier food choices!
Here’s some facts that I found interesting…..
Did you know?
- Only 20% of children live near a park
- Two-thirds of kids get less than an hour of play a day
- They’re increasingly time-crunched, with 12 fewer hours of free time per week
- Disadvantaged inner-city youth participate 40% less in sports and fitness
- Kids’ recreational time is increasingly spent on devices. Kids 8-18 spend an average of 7.5 hours per day on media
- The consequences of all of this, along with poor eating and drinking habits, is that obesity rates have tripled
How does the Dr Pepper Snapple Group help with this problem?
- They have built and/or improved 2000+ playgrounds to date, offering more than 5 million children the opportunity to play through the Let’s Play Program with Kaboom!, a national non-profit, dedicated to active play.
- This year, DPS made a $1 million commitment to Good Sports, a national non-profit dedicated to promoting active play among older children by providing athletic equipment to disadvantaged young people nationwide.
- They have created an amazing website, called Let’s Play, giving you as parents, many ideas to get active with your children and not just sitting around behind media devices.
- They have created many other drink options, suiting different people’s tastes in their different walks of life! (Did you know that Dr. Pepper Snapple has a line of many popular beverages? This includes Snapple, Mott’s, Schweppe’s, A&W, RC and more!)
I’m pleased with the steps that the Dr Pepper Snapple Group have taken to get us thinking about being active again! I know, if I my family needs the nudge, many others do, too!
If you are interested in applying for one of the grants that Dr Pepper Snapple group is administering, be sure to visit the Let’s Play website to learn more information and to apply for a grant for your organization, team, or playground.