We have a go-to meal in our house. It’s Instant Pot Shredded Mexican Chicken. It’s an Instant Pot meal that we use, every time I forget to start the slow cooker in the morning. (Well, maybe not every time. Otherwise, we’d be eating this 2 to 3 times a week. But, you get the idea.)
On rushed days, where I never really thought about dinner all day, I make this recipe. I almost always have frozen chicken breasts and all of the rest of the ingredients in the house, so it just makes sense!
I kind of have a Mexican Food obsession though. You can see that from my list of Slow Cooker Mexican Meals!
This recipe is very versatile. Sometimes I eat it like fajitas. When I do that, I usually sauté some peppers and onions in the skillet, then, when the chicken is done cooking in the Instant Pot, I will slice it up (or shred it) and add it to the skillet, to crisp it up and cook off some of the liquid a bit. Of course, there’s times that I don’t have all of those ingredients on hand, so I’ll just eat it like this.
There are 4 main ways you can eat this meal:
- On taco shells (hard or soft)
- Over chips, as nachos
- Over lettuce and chips, like a taco salad
- Over lettuce, as a low-carb taco salad.
Personally, I prefer it on nachos or if I’m trying to watch my carb intake, just over lettuce. However you eat it, it’s so very delicious!
Instant Pot Shredded Mexican Chicken
Instant Pot Shredded Mexican Chicken recipe is a very versatile recipe. You can eat it over chips, over lettuce or in taco shells.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20-35 minutes
- Total Time: 30-45 minutes + IP warm up time
- Yield: 6
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 onion
- 4 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 4 oz can diced green chilies
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Dice onion
- Place chicken in Instant Pot Pressure Cooker
- Cover chicken with the rest of the ingredients
- Close valve of Instant Pot
- Cook on Manual, High Pressure for 35 minutes (if chicken breasts were frozen) or 20 minutes, if they weren’t.
- Remove chicken and slice or shred.
- Serve on tortillas, taco chips or lettuce
This recipe can also be made in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 5-6 hours.
Side suggestions: Tortillas, refried beans, lettuce, tomatoes, sour cream, salsa