I’ve been trying to eat more vegetables and salads lately, but I didn’t want to do the same thing that I normally do. Typically, I will just make a chef salad, or a chicken salad, but it almost always tastes the same, with the same vegetables and dressing and it isn’t really that special. It’s just a way for me to increase my veggies, easily.
Well, this time, I decided on a different kind of salad, with a creamy lime sauce. The lime sauce, coupled with the corn and black beans, made this salad amazing! It was so amazing, that I ended up making the lime sauce again. It’s easy enough, so why not? Next time, I will definitely be doubling the lime sauce recipe, it’s that good!
It was super simple to just toss the chicken in the slow cooker with some salsa and taco seasoning, then chop it up to go on top of your salad.
I hope that you give this Southwestern Chicken Salad a shot. It’s well worth your time AND your taste buds.
Southwestern Salad – with Chicken Made in the Slow Cooker
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 package taco seasoning
- 1 1⁄2 cup salsa
- 4-6 cups romaine lettuce
- 2 medium chopped tomatoes
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz can corn, rinsed and drained
Creamy Lime Sauce
- 1/3 cup of lime juice
- 4 Tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1⁄2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1⁄4 cup Sour Cream
- Place chicken breasts into slow cooker
- Sprinkle taco seasoning over chicken
- Pour salsa over chicken
- Cook on high 2-3 hours or low 4-5 hours
- Whisk together Creamy Lime Sauce ingredients & refrigerate
- 30 minutes before chicken is done, chop 4 cups romaine lettuce and chop tomatoes
- Rinse & drain black beans and corn
- Assemble salad
- Slice chicken & place on salad
- Drizzle with lime sauce (optional)
Freezer Bag Instructions:
- Place chicken, taco seasoning and salsa in a gallon sized freezer safe bag.
- Label & lay bag flat to freeze
- Remove from freezer the night before you plan to use it
- Place contents of bag into slow cooker
- Cook on high 2-3 hours or low 4-5 hours.