Due to popular request, this recipe is available in a printable one week menu, however if you just want to see if you’ll like it, scroll down the page a little and it will lead you to the recipe. In the Freezer to Slow Cooker, Week 12 one week menu, you will find the following recipes:
- Mexican Chicken Nachos
- Beef & Cheese Pasta
- Herbed Roast and Gravy
- Greek Chicken
- Lasagna Soup
- Kansas Swiss Steak
This weekly menu comes with 6 recipes, assembly instructions, shopping list and labels you can cut out and tape onto your freezer bag. Purchase the menu by going here:
Apparently, my husband really digs it when I cook in the slow cooker. When I served this dinner to him, he said to me, “This may just be my favorite”. He continued, “What did you do to this roast to make it taste like this?”
I worked my magic of course. 🙂 My…um… magic? Well, apparently I must have some if I can keep getting my husband to say that the meals I’m making are his favorite. He’s said that probably 7 times now to 7 different dinners, but who’s counting? I’m just glad I can make him happy when I feed him so well! Secretly, I think he just prefers beef, and we don’t eat it nearly as much due to the price (although that will change soon, as we ordered a side of beef).
Would you like to try one of the best slow cooker recipes around? 🙂 I thought so. Read on to find the recipe. For the record, the gravy is absolutely optional, but my kids reported that it tasted great on mashed potatoes.
Herbed Roast in the Slow Cooker
2-3 pound chuck roast
salt & pepper
1 medium onion cut in thin slices
2-3 cups of beef broth
1/4 cup cooking wine
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
4 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp rosemary
1/2 tsp thyme
1 bay leaf
flour (for gravy thickener)
- Sprinkle meat with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Layer sliced onions on top of the meat.
- Place everything else in the slow cooker, except flour.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- When meat is done, pull it out of the slow cooker along with the onions any any other large pieces.
- Whisk in some flour to the remaining broth. Be sure to only add it slowly so it doesn’t clump.
- You may want to taste it and see if it needs salt. I ended up adding an extra teaspoon to mine.
- Serve the gravy either over the meat or on mashed potatoes.
Freezer to Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Place all ingredients except flour in one gallon sized freezer safe bag.
- Label & Lay flat to freeze.
- On cooking day, follow cooking instructions above.
Many of the ingredients have been linked here, so you can see exactly what I use. Sometimes, I do use off brands. Should you choose to purchase anything using any of the links in this post, I will receive a small percentage of your purchase price. This will not change your pricing whatsoever.