If you know me very well, you’ll know that my favorite kind of food is most definitely Mexican food. You may have figured this out by looking at the Crockpot Freezer Meals on my site. I could literally eat Mexican food all week! I’m super happy if I at least get to go to my favorite Mexican restaurant once a week. My friends and I like to meet for lunch and we don’t even ask where we’re going. We just automatically go to the same Mexican food joint, every time we get together.
I’ve been thinking about how fun it would be to make fajitas in the slow cooker, but I hadn’t really heard about it being done before. I decided to search for some recipes and sure enough it works. In fact, it works so well, my husband declared that this specific recipe will be a Sidetracked Sarah Reader favorite! He absolutely loved them (and he’s not the Mexican food fan that I am). I must be honest. I loved them, too! My only complaint is that the meat mixture was a bit liquid-y. You could solve that problem by leaving the lid off for the last hour or so of the cooking time OR you could let it drain in a colander and cook off any extra liquid in a skillet. Me? I don’t know if I’d go to that much trouble. I just drained as much liquid off as I could with a slotted spoon and gobbled them up just like that.
This fajita meat mixture would be great on a flour tortilla or even served over chips. The next time I make it, I’ll probably eat it as fajita nachos and pour Chile Con Queso (white cheese dip) over the top. It would be scrumptious like that!
Tweet to save and share this recipe!Click To Tweet Print
Crock Pot Steak Fajitas Recipe
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 hours
- Total Time: 4 hours 15 minutes
- Yield: 6
- Method: Slow Cooker
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 3 lbs thin sliced Sirloin top Round steak (or flank steak) cut into 3-4″ strips
2 medium onions, cut into strips
- 1 cup of your favorite salsa (this is our favorite salsa)
- 4 tablespoons of chopped fresh cilantro (optional – I prefer to use dried cilantro instead)
- 4 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- 4 cloves of minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons of chili powder
- 2 teaspoons of ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 small green bell peppers, cut into strips
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into strips
- Flour tortillas, warmed OR Tortilla chips
- Place steak, onions, salsa, cilantro, lime juice, minced garlic, chili powder, cumin, and salt into slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 5-6 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- 1 hour before cooking ends, place strips of bell peppers into slow cooker.
- Pull lid off at that time to get rid of as much extra liquid as possible (optional).
- Serve over flour tortillas or corn chips.
- Garnish with cheese, sour cream, salsa and guacamole.
Freezer to Slow Cooker Instructions:
- Slice meat into 3-4″ strips
- Slice bell peppers and onions into strips.
- Place everything but bell peppers into gallon size freezer bag.
- Place bell peppers into a quart size freezer bag.
- Label both bags with Steak Fajitas and staple them together.
- Write cooking instructions on the outside of the bag with a permanent marker.
- Lay flat to freeze, conserving as much room in your freezer as possible.
Pin this picture on Pinterest!
*Some links are affiliate links.